Today I worked on my laser cutter project. I built the top cover and installed it along with a stop and a switch, then I fabricated a plate for the electronics.
This little guy stops the door just past vertical. I printed it on Rick’s Makerbot.
This switch will detect when the door is open and shut off the laser. Also from Rick’s Makerbot.
I put a stack of washers under the door hinge. When I install the skin, it will be about as thick as those washers.
After the door was done, I fabricated an aluminum plate to support the electronics. I cut it on the table saw and drilled it in the small drill press.
Then Darrell and I looked at different ways to arrange the electronics on that plate. This is one arrangement. (The silver Christmas bow represents a power distribution block.) For more about my layout quandary, see this post on buildlog.net.
Oh, and I found out I’d left out one rail when I built the chassis back in September. It was the piece you see here just above the power supply. Now I’ve used up all the long pieces of Misumi rail, so I can repack my parts into smaller boxes that will fit into the car better. Yay!