[EMS Announce] Annual Board Elections Approaching

Rick Osgood EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Nov 26 11:28:27 PST 2012

This is a reminder about our annual meeting and board elections.  The
meeting will be held on *Saturday, December 8th at 1:00PM at Eugene Maker
Space*.

At this meeting we also have to elect our new board.  We will have an
electronic voting system in place so you can vote online if you are unable
to attend the meeting.  *Polls will close on Saturday, December 8th at
2:00PM*.  That is exactly one hour after the meeting starts.  This will
give candidates some time to speak their peace before the votes are all
cast.

If you know someone that you think would be a good candidate for a board
position, please nominate them!  You can do this easily by emailing the
Discuss email list with the subject line of "*NOMATION - Member Name*".
 That member will then have to accept their nomination.  Do you think you
might want to run for a board position for 2013?  Please do!  This is your
chance to step up and make a difference in this community.  If you think
you want to run for a board position, please send an email to the
discussion list or talk to some members in person to let us all know why
you want to be on the board and what you can bring to the table.  Another
member must nominate you for a board position. Nominations will close
on *November
30th*, so make sure you get all of your nominations in before December 1st.

We encourage all members who are interested in this voting process (or are
interested in running for a position) to familiarize themselves with our
current governing documents.  You can review the most recent version of our
governing documents on the EMS wiki:
http://www.eugenemakerspace.com/wiki/Sites/EugMakerSpace

In order to more effectively determine the will of the voters EMS has
chosen a voting style where all votes are marked in ranked order starting
at 1 for the voters first preference, 2 for the second preference, and on
to the Nth for the voters last preference. We use the *Single Transferable
Vote (STV)* method to count them, which is an extension of instant runoff
voting. Here is a brief description:

"Each voter gets one vote, which can transfer from their first-preference
to their second-preference.  If your preferred candidate has no chance of
being elected or has enough votes already, your vote is transferred to
another candidate in accordance with your instructions.  STV thus ensures
that very few votes are wasted."

More details: http://www.stv.govt.nz/stv/**voting.htm<http://www.stv.govt.nz/stv/voting.htm>

Two video examples of STV in action:

http://archive.fairvote.org/?**page=2451<http://archive.fairvote.org/?page=2451>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?**v=MY-zNY-X3vY<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY-zNY-X3vY>

This should make more sense once you actually see the voting system.  If
anyone has any questions about any of this, feel free to email  b
EMAIL HIDDEN <EMAIL HIDDEN> and one of us will
help you out where possible.

Thank you.