[EMS Announce] Future Membership Meetings

Rick Osgood EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Apr 4 08:40:33 PDT 2013

Hello all!

The board got together last night and discussed what to do about our
membership meetings.  We have been attempting to hold them on the last
Saturday of the month, but often the meetings get cancelled due to
holidays, conflicting events, or we don't have a quorum.  We've decided to
try something new to see if it works better for our members.

We want to add a new event to the EMS calendar called, "Hack Your
Hackerspace".  This event will be held the Tuesday before our membership
meetings at 7:00PM  (The Tuesday of the last full week of the month).  The
idea of this meeting is to get the members together in a more informal
setting to talk about things that need improving around EMS.  What can we
do to make EMS better?  What can we do RIGHT NOW to make EMS better?  What
do the members like about EMS?  What do you really want to change?  This
won't be an official membership meeting so there won't be any formal voting
or anything like that.  We won't need detailed minutes, although some
general notes of takeaways will be a good idea.  We just want a venue for
communication between the membership and between the members and board.

We will keep the official membership meetings on the schedule for the last
Saturday of the month.  We're hoping that these Hack Your Hackerspace
nights will basically make the membership meetings obsolete so we won't
have to hold them most months.  But if something comes up that requires the
membership to vote or have a more formal meeting, the membership meetings
will always be on the schedule so we can hold the meeting if needed.  Every
month we'll start a discussion thread to see if anything needs to be
discussed or voted on at the membership meetings.  If so, we will hold it.
 If not, then it's unlikely we'll get a quorum to hold an official meeting
anyway.

We hope this change will still let us get things done but in a less formal
and more fun way.  We also hope more people will be able to make it to
these meetings (and will actually want to come).  I've added the first Hack
Your Hackerspace meeting to the EMS calendar already.  We look forward to
seeing you there.

Thanks.