[EMS Announce] Annual Meeting and Board Elections

Mr. Clif EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Nov 7 19:52:42 PST 2013

Greetings EMS folks,

Here is the latest on our upcoming annual meeting where YOU get to elect
the new board of directors! This important day and time is*December 7th
at 10:00AM*, however polls will open about two weeks before that
enabling you to vote on-line if you wish. The current list of people
running for the board are: James, Austin, Clif, Darrell, Cord, Rick,
Kassie, and Kevin, though nominations are open until *November 30th.

*There are two other measures on this years ballot. The first is Bob's
proposal for a new storage policy. Which will allow us to better manage
our limited storage space and generate some additional revenue. A draft
has been posted to the discuss list with the final version forth coming.
The second is to determine if a large majority of members would be
comfortable with higher dues, and what they should be. Our thought is to
only raise dues if this passes by around 75% to 90% but we haven't
picked a percentage yet. Even then it would just be encouraged but not
mandatory.

Polls will close one hour after the meeting starts at 11:00AM when we
will count the votes. :-)

     Thanks for your attention,
     Clif Cox -- Secretary of the Board

Previous announcement with more details:

*December 7th at 11:00AM*,
It's that time of year again!  The annual meeting and board elections
are right around the corner.  This year we will be holding the meeting
on *Saturday, December 7th at 10:00AM* at Eugene Maker Space.  The board
vote polls will close on *December 7th at 11:00AM*, exactly one hour
after the meeting starts.  This will give everyone some time to discuss
it before casting votes.  Last year we offered an online voting system
so those who couldn't make the meeting could still vote.  We fully
intend to do the same thing this year.

If you know someone that you think would be a good candidate for a
board position, please nominate them!  You can do this easily by
emailing the Discuss email list with the subject line of "*NOMATION -
Member Name*".  That member will then have to accept their nomination.

Do you think you might want to run for a board position for 2014?
  Please do!  This is your chance to step up and make a difference in
this community.  If you think you want to run for a board position,
please send an email to the discussion list or talk to some members in
person to let us all know why you want to be on the board and what you
can bring to the table.  Another member must nominate you for a board
position. Nominations will close on *November 30th*, so make sure you
get all of your nominations in before then.

We encourage all members who are interested in this voting process (or
are interested in running for a position) to familiarize themselves with
our current governing documents.  You can review the most recent version
of our governing documents on the EMS wiki:
http://www.eugenemakerspace.com/wiki/Sites/EugMakerSpace

In order to more effectively determine the will of the voters EMS has
chosen a voting style where all votes are marked in ranked order
starting at 1 for the voters first preference, 2 for the second
preference, and on to the Nth for the voters last preference. We use the
*Single Transferable Vote (STV)* method to count them, which is an
extension of instant runoff voting. Here is a brief description:

"Each voter gets one vote, which can transfer from their
first-preference to their second-preference.  If your preferred
candidate has no chance of being elected or has enough votes already,
your vote is transferred to another candidate in accordance with your
instructions.  STV thus ensures that very few votes are wasted."

More details: http://www.stv.govt.nz/stv/voting.htm

Two video examples of STV in action:

http://archive.fairvote.org/?page=2451
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY-zNY-X3vY

This should make more sense once you actually see the voting system.  If
anyone has any questions about any of this, feel free to
email EMAIL HIDDEN <mailto:EMAIL HIDDEN> and
one of us will help you out where possible.

Thank you.