[EMS Announce] Annual Meeting and Board Elections

Rick Osgood EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Oct 22 10:08:08 PDT 2013

It's that time of year again!  The annual meeting and board elections are
right around the corner.  This year we will be holding the meeting on
*Saturday,
December 7th at 10:00AM* at Eugene Maker Space.  The board vote polls will
close on *December 7th at 11:00AM*, exactly one hour after the meeting
starts.  This will give everyone some time to discuss it before casting
votes.  Last year we offered an online voting system so those who couldn't
make the meeting could still vote.  We fully intend to do the same thing
this year.

If you know someone that you think would be a good candidate for a
board position,
please nominate them!  You can do this easily by emailing the Discuss email
list with the subject line of "*NOMATION - Member Name*".  That member will
then have to accept their nomination.

Do you think you might want to run for a board position for 2014?  Please
do!  This is your chance to step up and make a difference in this
community.  If you think you want to run for a board position, please send
an email to the discussion list or talk to some members in person to let us
all know why you want to be on the board and what you can bring to the
table.  Another member must nominate you for a board position. Nominations
will close on *November 30th*, so make sure you get all of your nominations
in before then.

We encourage all members who are interested in this voting process (or are
interested in running for a position) to familiarize themselves with our
current governing documents.  You can review the most recent version of our
governing documents on the EMS wiki:
http://www.eugenemakerspace.com/wiki/Sites/EugMakerSpace

In order to more effectively determine the will of the voters EMS has
chosen a voting style where all votes are marked in ranked order starting
at 1 for the voters first preference, 2 for the second preference, and on
to the Nth for the voters last preference. We use the *Single Transferable
Vote (STV)* method to count them, which is an extension of instant runoff
voting. Here is a brief description:

"Each voter gets one vote, which can transfer from their first-preference
to their second-preference.  If your preferred candidate has no chance of
being elected or has enough votes already, your vote is transferred to
another candidate in accordance with your instructions.  STV thus ensures
that very few votes are wasted."

More details: http://www.stv.govt.nz/stv/**voting.htm<http://www.stv.govt.nz/stv/voting.htm>

Two video examples of STV in action:

http://archive.fairvote.org/?**page=2451<http://archive.fairvote.org/?page=2451>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?**v=MY-zNY-X3vY<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY-zNY-X3vY>

This should make more sense once you actually see the voting system.  If
anyone has any questions about any of this, feel free to email b
EMAIL HIDDEN <EMAIL HIDDEN> and one of us will
help you out where possible.

Thank you.