[Discuss] Near-space balloon: Will need to source balloon

Rick Osgood EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Nov 2 11:31:34 PDT 2011

Before buying the balloon we are going to need to know the total weight of
everything, or at least a very close approximation.  This includes the
chassis, electronics, antenna, parachute, rope, etc.  We also need to know
what we want our approximate ascent rate to be so we know how many extra
pounds of lift we need.  Once we know all of this, we will know for sure
the minimum size balloon we can use.  Then we can order a couple of them.
 As Kevin mentioned, it is a good idea to have two balloons because
sometimes you get a bad one and it bursts while you are filling it.  Other
complications such as wind can also cause your launch to fail so it's
always good to have a backup for launch day.