[Discuss] Near-space Balloon: A couple more drawings

Kevin King EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Nov 6 11:28:36 PST 2011

Something came up this morning and I will not be able to attend the NSB meeting
this afternoon.  I have included my notes in hope that a discussion will be
started on these subjects.  If someone could please take real basic notes or an
outline of the topics discussed today so that I can rehash with Rick on Monday,
that would be great.  We could possibly start making brief notes for each
meeting and post to the wiki for those that can't make the meeting.  We could
start an agenda for the meetings also.

1. Secondary Tracking Device
2. Battery Considerations
3. Radar Reflector

-Secondary location device
In my research I have found many sites that have strongly recommended a
completely seperate tracking device. in the chance that the primary fails, stops
transmitting, or battery dies.  I am a huge proponant for redundancy and think
this would be a good addition to the payload.  We could possibly hang it from
the primary payload, although that would not be as sexy.  I have been looking
into both radio beacons and cheap cell phones for this purpose.  I have most
recently been researching cheap GPS enabled prepaid phones with additional
software.  One piece of software that I found was www.mapmytracks.com.  This
would be a simple and cheap way for a backup tracking system.

-Battery Considerations
Many sites reference using only non rechargable lithium batteries in their
payload.  When concidering the temperatures found in high altitude (-40C) non
rechargable lithium batteries are the best choice.  Has anyone else done any
research on this subject?

-Radar Reflector
The last item I have for discussion is whether or not we need to include a radar
reflector to our payload.  I have found that many near space balloon projects
include a reflector.  This will make it possible for aircraft to detect our
balloon.  I thought the FAA guidelines required a reflector, however I have seen
several balloons that did not include one.