[Discuss] Near-space Balloon: A couple more drawings

Rick Osgood EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Nov 6 16:21:05 PST 2011

If the chassis is well insulated, then the hand warmers only have to work
for a brief period of time to warm up the air on the inside of the payload.
 If they stop working due to lack of oxygen then it won't matter because
the air inside will already be warm.  Of course this only matters if the
payload is insulated well enough.

On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 1:42 PM, Ben Hallert - Vipmail <EMAIL HIDDEN>wrote:

> Are there warmers that use a contained chemical reactions?
>
> - Ben
>
> On Nov 6, 2011, at 1:16 PM, James Hukill <EMAIL HIDDEN> wrote:
>
> Hand warmers require oxygen as the catalyst*,  which might mean they
> don't' work at the height would would need them too? (Not sure O2 levels at
> that height)
>
> Would be cool point to prove, blast a few packets of hard warmers with
> pure oxygen and see if they light up?
>

> *I am pretty sure but could be wrong.
>
> --James
>
> On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 1:03 PM, Ben Hallert - Vipmail <EMAIL HIDDEN>wrote:
>
>> What about using chemical hand warmers inside the sphere so the
>> environment stays hospitable?  I'll be late today btw, still at the house.
>>
>> - Ben
>>
>> On Nov 6, 2011, at 1:00 PM, Rick Osgood <EMAIL HIDDEN> wrote:
>>
>> Building a secondary tracking system would definitely add redundancy in
>> case the primary fails but it will add to cost and complexity as well as
>> weight. If you have an idea you'd like to try Kevin I say just go for it.
>> Keep in mind a cell phone will only work if it can get a signal. My
>> understanding is that above 20000ft you will probably lose signal but if it
>> comes back once the payload lands at least we can find it. will we have
>> service at our launch/recovery locations though? Who knows at this stage.
>>
>> My understanding is that lithium batteries are what you should use
>> absolutely. They would be my recommendation as well. They weigh less than
>> regular batteries and stand up to cold temperatures better.
>>
>> I can't remember for sure if a reflector is required. I know our last
>> balloon didn't have one. I think if you stay within the weight restrictions
>> you don't need one but I can't recall for sure. of course its dead simple
>> to make and include one so perhaps we might as well.
>> On Nov 6, 2011 11:28 AM, "Kevin King" <EMAIL HIDDEN> wrote:
>>

>>> Something came up this morning and I will not be able to attend the NSB
>>> meeting this afternoon.  I have included my notes in hope that a discussion
>>> will be started on these subjects.  If someone could please take real basic
>>> notes or an outline of the topics discussed today so that I can rehash with
>>> Rick on Monday, that would be great.  We could possibly start making brief
>>> notes for each meeting and post to the wiki for those that can't make the
>>> meeting.  We could start an agenda for the meetings also.
>>>
>>> 1. Secondary Tracking Device
>>> 2. Battery Considerations