[Discuss] Access security; RFID door lock

Rick Osgood EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Nov 10 20:25:00 PST 2011

I just thought of this earlier today.  The company that makes the Teensy
Arduino donated four perfectly good Teensy boards to EMS.  This would make
building an RFID door lock system for the shop dead simple.  The Teensy can
interface to the RFID reader I have directly with just three wires.  The
Teensy also has a usb mini plug and USB support natively on the board
already.  That means you can plug the thing straight into a computer and do
serial over USB without any extra hardware.  The only thing you might have
trouble with is driving a relay with the Teensy without some external power
or something.  The thing even gets power via USB if you want.  The only
downside to this is that someone in the shop could unplug the Teensy USB
and plug it into their laptop and put any code they wanted on it including
some code with a "backdoor" or something.  Obviously not very secure.  I
just thought I would mention this in case some people were interested or
had other ideas.