[Discuss] Cables for TNC

Rick Osgood EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Nov 30 13:41:09 PST 2011

I stopped by the shop last night and was able to put together a DIN6 -> DB9
cable that is working between my radio and TNC.  I've been trying to get my
setup to work with an APRS tracking program called UI-View but I haven't
got it to work right yet.  The software keeps hanging when trying to talk
to my TNC.  I know the TNC is functioning and all my settings are correct
because I can talk to it with a terminal program just fine using the same
settings. I've used this software successfully in the past but with a
different radio, TNC, computer and operating system.

I think the problem is the software was last modified years ago during the
Windows XP days and the software writer died a few years back so there have
been no updates.  I'm still playing around with some settings to try and
get things working.  Earlier today I was able to get a little bit more
progress by running the UI-View software in Windows XP compatibility mode
but it still wasn't working exactly right.  I ran out of time before I
could get it fully working though.

I did manage to get good data using another free software called WinAPRS.
 WinAPRS is just much less intuitive and has a much more clunky interface
so I prefer to use UI-View.  Anyway, we have plenty of time to get tracking
systems up and running.  I just wanted to update everyone so you know how
the overall project stands.

RIck