[Discuss] Near-space balloon: Foam ball located and purchased

Laura Harris EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Oct 31 13:29:28 PDT 2011

Ohh- that looks good, Ben.

One idea for holding the halves together is to use a pair of extra-long nylon zip ties running longitudinally at 90 degrees to each other- grooves formed in the surface would keep them from sliding off. They're strong and light and they avoid the need for any hardware.

________________________________
From: Ben Hallert <EMAIL HIDDEN>
To: Laura Harris <EMAIL HIDDEN>
Cc: Rick Osgood <EMAIL HIDDEN>; "EMAIL HIDDEN" <EMAIL HIDDEN>
Sent: Monday, October 31, 2011 1:12 PM
Subject: Re: [Discuss] Near-space balloon: Foam ball located and purchased

May I suggest that instead of attaching the cord to the top, we run it
down and attach it to where the battery bay is?  This way the whole
thing is 'sitting' on the cord and we can cut any weight created by
reinforcements that would reach to the top of the sphere.  Namely, the
only 'strength' needed would be at the bottom where it's already
planned to exist.  This also reduces risk of retrieving just the top
of the sphere.  :)  I've attached a modified version of the drawing.

- Ben