[Discuss] Near-space balloon: Foam ball located and purchased

Rick Osgood EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Oct 31 13:51:18 PDT 2011

Ben, so your idea would be to have the cord come through the sphere via a
hole in the top and then attach to the inside of the bottom half?  I want
to make sure I understand your idea correctly.  That sounds like it could
definitely work and I like that it would remove the requirement for extra
reinforcement on the top half.  Only downside would be having the rope
going through the payload where it could get in the way of the electronics.

Laura, I think the zip ties idea could be cheap, simple, and effective.  It
would be nice to have something that didn't require cutting and replacing
the zip ties every time we open and close it though.

The last balloon I did, we just had a threaded rod going all the way
through the center of the payload vertically.  There was a washer and a nut
on each side to hold the two pieces tightly together.  Then a small
horizontal hole was drilled through the threaded rod at the top so we could
stick a sort of hook through it where the line was attached.  The threaded
rod was nice and strong but it will add more weight and then you have a
metal rod going all the way through the center of the payload which can
make the inside electronics layout more difficult.  You can see it in some
of the photos from this site:
http://www.toddfun.com/2011/02/20/high-altitude-balloon-launch-2/ .  Here
is one example photo: