[EMS Discuss] Logo

Rick Osgood rick at eugenemakerspace.com
Mon Apr 9 19:48:58 PDT 2012

Wow I really like those Aaron.  Here are my own personal thoughts on them.

- I like the green E.  I like the color green because I feel like it
represents Eugene pretty well, so seeing green in our logo would make sense.
- I like that you worked off the gear/cog idea that Ben introduced because
those generally invoke images of machines and work being done.
- I personally am drawn more toward logos that are more of a symbol with no
words.  Think the Bat signal.  They could have wrote "batman" across the
sky but the image is simple and distinctly his own and it says the same
thing with no words.

If I had to put your 4 ideas in order from most favorite to least favorite,
I would go with
#1 Green 'E' with the small cog "ms"
#2 Cog with the "e" inside
#3 Eugene with the "ms" cog
#4 Green "E" with "ms" attached.

One thing that sort of feels "off" to me is the font of the "ms". I think
maybe because it looks like a different font than the big green "E" it just
looks a bit odd.  I think it looks better in the logo with the word
"Eugene" spelled out.  It doesn't look terrible or anything, and in fact,
it may be the best way to do it for all I know.  I just wanted to let you
know it felt a bit off to me when looking at the logos.

As to other ideas to draw from, anything maker-related I guess.  We have
members here who are into electronics, cars, CNC routers, 3d printers, you
name it.  I think it would be best to use some imagery that is sort of
universal.  For example while imagery of a 3d printer makes sense, it feels
sort of exclusive to all the other things we can do at EMS.  The cog is a
great example of something that doesn't really limit what people might
imagine when they see our logo.  Some generic electronic symbols or PCB
traces might make sense if they could be incorporated some how since that
includes a large category of things.

This is great work though, thanks for sharing regardless.

Rick