[EMS Discuss] The three laptops that were on the table

Bob Miller kbob at jogger-egg.com
Mon Apr 16 10:04:48 PDT 2012

Are these laptops still in the shop?

I think I need to borrow a Windows box to download new firmware into my
car's ECU.  Would it be acceptable to take one of those laptops home for
 a week or so to get the car reloaded?

I tried flashing the ECU using my employer-provided laptop, and
Windows blue-screened halfway through.  The ECU doesn't boot anymore,
but there's a way to override the boot loader (which I haven't done yet).

FWIW, the one that crashed is a ThinkPad W510 running WIndows 7 Enterprise.
It spends 99.3% of its time running Linux, but it came with Windows installed.
My Windows knowledge is basically zero, so I don't even know how to start
troubleshooting the problem.

Thanks.