[EMS Discuss] Shop Clean Up Discussion

Bob Miller EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Aug 10 09:12:37 PDT 2012

Here are a couple of ideas.

How about designating the shelves by the overhead door as member
storage?  We can all store our personal stuff there, so long as it is clearly
labeled with our names.  Anything not in those shelves is club property
by default.  A small sign reading "Members' property.  Please put your
name on your stuff" would make it clear.

Similarly, for the shelving unit against the back wall, how about a small sign
reading "Tools for member use"?  And maybe one of us could go through
it and organize it a little.

I volunteer to make those signs unless we get a better idea...

I'd also volunteer to make a sign for the main workbench reading,
"Please leave this area cleaner than you found it," but I think I'm
just being bitchy about that.

There are some big projects that won't fit in the shelves.  Rick and the late
Ellery's vacuum former for example, and Jeff's woodworking project du jour.
Once again, I think the solution is to put your name on your stuff.  Then
everyone else knows it's not junk and not club property.

Do we need some Avery labels preprinted with "This stuff belongs to: "?
Say the word and I'll print some.

Completed projects:  Some of them are really cool.  Some are less so.
Some are really small and out of the way, and some take up way too
much space.  Not to pick on Rick, but his potato cannon is a clear
example of cool and not much space.  And not to pick on Rick, but
his wooden chair is an example of the opposite.

Could we maybe designate some space on the wall and/or one table
as the cool artifact gallery?  Come up with some way to get newly
completed stuff into the gallery and formerly cool stuff back into
its owner's garage and/or the dumpster?

For stuff that isn't member property, we need to cull it ruthlessly.
To the dump with it!  (or to NextStep.)

If we can get some clutter out, we can think about rearranging the
space to be more usable, social, and pleasant to use.  James has
some ideas on that...

I also want to get some high tech tools into our shop.  But aside from
the 3D printer(s), it's clear that that's a long term project.  (Ask me
in person when you want to hear laser cutter tales.)