[EMS Discuss] Inkscape and a Silhuette paper cutter

John Burridge EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Dec 17 16:50:03 PST 2012

The clerk/owner?, Theresa, at the store seemed pretty friendly and into
using the cutter.  She's using the Silhuette software off of her laptop.
 To get designs to her the options are A) e-mail her a DFX file (Inkscape's
default file type didn't want to import into Silhuette's image editor, B)
bring in a USB stick with the file (and swear that it's malware-free), or
C) install the Sihuette editor (I want to say that it's 100 MB) onto your
own laptop and plut into the cutter via USB.

Oh -- right... if you use Inkscape, make sure that your final image lives
on one layer and delete all other unused layers.  If you don't everything
shows up on the import.  To make the stars cut out, I drew the design, then
thickened the stroke to about 12points, then used the UNION function and
then the STROKE TO OUTLINE function to get a "welded" (i.e. closed polygon)
design.  I'd like to do some designs with paper folding and cuts to make a
kind o pop-out book design... which I think is possible.

- John

--
----