[EMS Discuss] Grand Opening Review

Bob Miller EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Feb 24 16:16:57 PST 2012

The good.

Lots of people came by and checked us out.  It looks like many people
are interested in what we do.

People liked the demos and toys.  (See the email below.)

I thought the lab coats were cool.

The bad.

Nothing much happened with the electronic kits.  Next time, we should
either drop them or, if we do them again, we should have visible
signage about them and a member manning that table the whole time.

Too many members could not participate.  I think that's partly the
board's fault; we just sprang the date on you guys without finding out
which dates work.  Next time, we'll do better (and we'll have a longer
lead time, I hope.)

The pizza was late.  I'll take the blame for that.

The ugly.

I got this email, which bothers me.

> Subject: Re: announcement: Eugene Maker Space grand opening
> To: Bob Miller <EMAIL HIDDEN>
>
> Are you a part of the Maker Space?
>
> Will they have more open houses?
>
> I didn't really ask but I wasn't sure if they were trying to raise money or
> awareness or just be friendly during the open house. We really liked the
> lock picking demonstration, the piano with the fire and my son was really
> interested in the 3D printer.

This bothers me because to at least one visitor, it was completely
nonobvious that we want him to join EMS.

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 3:44 PM, Scott <EMAIL HIDDEN> wrote:
> I could have not been an idiot and remembered I have an air bag to set off- doh
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Feb 23, 2012, at 10:26 AM, Rick Osgood <EMAIL HIDDEN> wrote:
>
>> We feel that overall the grand opening was a great success.  We will
>> find out for sure in the coming weeks when we get a chance to see how
>> many members we get from the event.  Does anyone have any suggestions
>> for what we could have done differently to make the event a greater
>> success?  Anything you think we could improve for the next event we
>> host?  We want to collect these suggestions and save them for future
>> events.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Rick

Bob Miller                              K<bob>