[EMS Discuss] Ham Radio Field Day

Rick Osgood EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Jun 19 09:35:58 PDT 2012

Field Day is this Saturday and Sunday.  Is anyone planning on doing
anything for field day?  I've never participated but it always sounded like
it would be fun.  I'm mostly a HAM noob so I'm not sure how much I could
contribute but it would be fun to learn a few things from the more
experienced.  Here is the objective from the website:

To work as many stations as possible on any and all amateur bands
(excluding the 60, 30, 17, and 12-meter bands) and to learn to operate in
abnormal situations in less than optimal conditions.

I believe it's meant as a fun disaster preparedness exercise where you are
trying to make as many contacts as possible using backup power supplies
such as batteries, solar, etc.  I think low power is generally considered a
good thing since you want to conserve energy.  Feel free to correct me if
you know more about it.

So is anyone doing anything for field day?

Rick