[EMS Discuss] New Linked Forums

Mr. Clif EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Mar 7 19:42:44 PST 2012

Hey Nathan,

Yes I was going to mention that. The lost password procedure is a two
step process. When it takes you to the login page you need to wait for
the second email which has your account name and new password, and as
Nathan has noted it might end up in your spam folder.

Nathan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Be aware, if you are using Gmail the reset password email may get
> stuck in your spam filter.
>
> Also I'm checking with a friend of mine who works in messaging to
> determine what level of obfuscation will be sufficient to avoid
> harvesting. I'm not sure if just turning the "@" symbols to "at" will
> do the trick as harvesters are pretty sophisticated. I don't follow
> the email threat landscape very closely but Alex should have a good
> idea what is required.

Excelent, I look forward to his insights. For comparisons sake this is
*All* that mailman does. You can check our archives here:
http://eugenemakerspace.com/pipermail/com.eugenemakerspace.discuss to
see. How many mailman installations are there? tens of thousands? 100s
of thousands? Anyway I agree, I think email obfuscation is mostly to
make users feel good, I don't think it's that practical. That is what
spam filters are for.

Now, what I just wrote for the forums does more than this. It also
strips off the mailto: and <...> around the addresses. Mailman doesn’t
bother with that.

> I believe we'll need to increase the max avatar size as well. I'm
> guessing it's set to default now and it's crazy small.

Ok what size seems reasonable to you?

> I did make FAKESPAMACCOUNT for testing, the posts were for testing as
> well.
>
> - Nathan
Cool,

So we talked about our mailing list and forum policy at the board
meeting tonight, and decided that we like it the way it is for now, but
will be happy to adjust things when we start to have problems. It was
noted that most forums do allow unmoderated signups. So I think that the
next thing we will have to tweak is to bump the number of initial
moderated posts up to 2 etc...

Ciao,
Clif