[EMS Discuss] New Linked Forums

Mr. Clif EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Mar 7 22:01:15 PST 2012

Hi Nathan,

InEugene wrote:
> Hello,
>
> - Just did a Google search on my other email address and the second
> result was
> http://eugenemakerspace.com/pipermail/com.eugenemakerspace.discuss
> even with the obfuscation. I'd prefer a system that stripped the email
> addresses altogether. Maybe that's too complicated. I'd think you
> could do a 'find words that contain "@" and replace with "..."' or
> something. Talking to Alex it sounds like changing the "@" to "at"
> would have little benefit.
Yep, though changing the way mailman builds it's archives is more than I
want to get into. If you would like to put in a request with the mailman
dev team feel free. I would even add to that thread if you started it.

> - Standard size for avatars on the other forums I've worked on is
> 100x100. If filesize is an issue we can always host them on imgur. Is
> filesize an issue?
No, file size is not an issue I just need to know what a reasonable size
limit is, which is all I asked for.
> - I still don't seem to have admin access. If you go into the
> Moderator/User Manager admin control panel you should be able to pull
> up my account and then under Forum Administrator you can click on the
> toggle link to assign administrative rights.
Yes I know how to grant admin access, ;-) though why don't we start with
moderator for now, ok? Some of the other board members suggested that
was a good first step.
> - Side note: Are we planning on having a Google+ presence? I know
> several of us are on there. I could set that up as well.
>
> /Nathan
Not really, I think google is evil, and I would usually go out of my way
to be self sufficient. For someone so concerned about getting your email
address out there. You don't seem bothered by the fact that google
doesn’t delete your personal email after you delete it. Their policy
says this. Then they mine all the useful data out of it and sell it
three letter agencies. But they do it in a really nice way so it feels
good, and I guess that's what counts.

The new big brother:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/new-privacy-policy-lets-google-watch-you--everywhere/2012/02/27/gIQAdyscpR_story.html

     Clif