[EMS Discuss] New Linked Forums

Bob Miller EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Mar 8 10:32:12 PST 2012

I created a Google+ page for EMS a few weeks before the grand opening.
I am crappy at keeping it updated, though.  Would you (Nathan or anyone
else) like me to add you as an administrator?

I think this is the URL.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/111153472349343637677/posts

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 9:10 PM, InEugene <EMAIL HIDDEN> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> - Just did a Google search on my other email address and the second result
> was http://eugenemakerspace.com/pipermail/com.eugenemakerspace.discuss even
> with the obfuscation. I'd prefer a system that stripped the email addresses
> altogether. Maybe that's too complicated. I'd think you could do a 'find
> words that contain "@" and replace with "..."' or something. Talking to Alex
> it sounds like changing the "@" to "at" would have little benefit.
>
> - Standard size for avatars on the other forums I've worked on is 100x100.
> If filesize is an issue we can always host them on imgur. Is filesize an
> issue?
>
> - I still don't seem to have admin access. If you go into the Moderator/User
> Manager admin control panel you should be able to pull up my account and
> then under Forum Administrator you can click on the toggle link to assign
> administrative rights.
>
> - Side note: Are we planning on having a Google+ presence? I know several of
> us are on there. I could set that up as well.
>
> /Nathan
>

> On 3/7/2012 7:42 PM, Mr. Clif wrote:
>>
>> Hey Nathan,
>>
>> Yes I was going to mention that. The lost password procedure is a two
>> step process. When it takes you to the login page you need to wait for
>> the second email which has your account name and new password, and as
>> Nathan has noted it might end up in your spam folder.
>>
>> Nathan wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Be aware, if you are using Gmail the reset password email may get
>>> stuck in your spam filter.
>>>
>>> Also I'm checking with a friend of mine who works in messaging to
>>> determine what level of obfuscation will be sufficient to avoid
>>> harvesting. I'm not sure if just turning the "@" symbols to "at" will
>>> do the trick as harvesters are pretty sophisticated. I don't follow
>>> the email threat landscape very closely but Alex should have a good
>>> idea what is required.
>>

>> Excelent, I look forward to his insights. For comparisons sake this is
>> *All* that mailman does. You can check our archives here:
>> http://eugenemakerspace.com/pipermail/com.eugenemakerspace.discuss to
>> see. How many mailman installations are there? tens of thousands? 100s
>> of thousands? Anyway I agree, I think email obfuscation is mostly to
>> make users feel good, I don't think it's that practical. That is what
>> spam filters are for.
>>
>> Now, what I just wrote for the forums does more than this. It also
>> strips off the mailto: and <...> around the addresses. Mailman doesn’t
>> bother with that.
>>>

>>> I believe we'll need to increase the max avatar size as well. I'm
>>> guessing it's set to default now and it's crazy small.
>>

>> Ok what size seems reasonable to you?
>>
>>> I did make FAKESPAMACCOUNT for testing, the posts were for testing as
>>> well.
>>>
>>> - Nathan

> [...]

Bob Miller                              K<bob>