[EMS Discuss] The "official" forum is getting spammed

Mr. Clif EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Mar 12 18:43:10 PDT 2012

That's interesting, thanks for pointing that out Nathan. Yes those
accounts did get created but I only see that
asd123 tried to post anything, and that was caught in the moderation
queue as it should be. I'm looking for the other's messages but it says
zero.

As we discussed before we can adjust the number of messages someone must
send that must be approved by the moderator. I'm not sure about this but
wouldn't it be cool if that number of posts had to be actually approved
before they could get out of the "moderation box". If true, then the
spamers could only create accounts which will eventually be cleaned up
like so much garbage. Additionally it's possible delete all of someones
posts with their account but that may not even be necessary.

Well as far as tradeoffs go, allowing genuine users easy account
creation may be worth the trouble of deleting unused spam accounts once
in awhile. There shouldn't be that many because there is a captcha test.
On the other hand, there is a point of moderation either way. The
Moderators either have to approve accounts or approve posts. I've found
that asking them to fill out a form item like say "What are your
interests" Doesn’t always work. eg, James didn't and I had to ask him if
that account with a different email address was actually him. So.... It
might be easier to just wait and see what their first post is.

Clif