[EMS Discuss] New Linked Forums

Mr. Clif EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Mar 14 23:31:02 PDT 2012

Dear EMS members,

I felt that part of the lively discussion we had the other day was
productive, even though there was a flame out at the end. I'm referring
to the part where a lot of people chimed in with their opinion on how
the user registration should be handled. I was very happy to see that
many people following the debate and contributing their ideas. Maybe we
could try that again with a different question. Strange as it may seem I
have asked different versions of this question to the board and a few
members but haven’t gotten a good sense of the collective will of the
people or even the board! Which is really frustrating for me, because I
feel strongly that just two or three people shouldn't decide something
that affects all the members and how the organization is perceived from
the outside, on their own. It's a hard question partly because it's
about philosophy and tradeoffs.

Here it is in a nut shell:

We are currently a small but growing group of people who like to share
our ideas and projects, and one of the ways we do this is on this email
list. There are others who prefer forums to emails, and some who like
news groups or RSS feeds. If we link all these things together everyone
can participate in these discussions using their favorite format.

I feel that EMS as an org tries to be as open with it's information as
possible and make it easy to find out about us and to interact. That is
the philosophy as I see it. So up till now our mailing list archives and
our prototype forums have been open and readable by all, including
search engines. So for example if someone is looking for a Rubins tube
project they will see Rick talking about it in the archives or forums.

The trade off is that there are some email addresses in the quoted
messages in our posts that will show up in both places, and there is a
minimal amount of obscuration done to them by both packages. There is
some small amount of coding and maintenance required to do more than that.

So the question is; should we continue our philosophy of openness, or
close our archives, and forums?

If we keep them open then how should we handle the email addresses?

Leave them as they are, "joe at foo.bar.com" and let our personal spam
filters deal with the few extra spams picked up? The archives have been
around since October, has anyone noticed a change?

Or one of these options:

     "joe at foo dot bar dot com"
     "joe at spam-protected"
     removed completely