[EMS Discuss] [PROPOSAL] - Transferring hosted services

Mr. Clif EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Mar 15 10:56:05 PDT 2012

Yes I also agree.

 From the start I was looking for other sysadmins to help me with the
system. A couple problems were that initially there were a small group
of us and perhaps they didn't have the skill set to do that much. Also
the EMS corner was part of a larger multi hosted site. Now I think there
are more skilled sysadmins out there, and it's a good time to split the
EMS stuff out into it's own image. This would make it easy to move
around to another physical or virtual machine. Some added benefits are
we could get our own certificate and par down the wiki to just EMS stuff.

My vision of sometime in the future would be to have a small rack in the
corner of EMS with a couple of servers and maybe a patch panel. Two or
three sysadmins to take care of it. I have a small rack in my garage on
comcast and it works great! I would be proud to see that come to pass,
and I think others would appreciate that sense of self sufficiency. I am
not attached to being one of the sysadmins at all, I would rather just
help if someone gets stuck. I'm not sure how fast all this could happen,
it just depends on how many hands there are to help, but I see the
process like this:

Make an EMS image.
Get other sysadmins up to speed.
Move it wherever you want.