[EMS Discuss] RFID Door - MK 2

Bob Miller EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Mar 20 16:20:15 PDT 2012

I'd like to see it post something to our web site, too.
We could have the web site pull that from Twitter, or we
could have the door lock system send a separate update
message.  Let's get Twitter working first.

As for the hardware, first we need the Comcast internet
installation.  Then we need a computer that can post messages.
It doesn't have to be a full PC - we could use a repurposed
Wi-Fi router or some kind of tiny Linux appliance.  In fact, I'll donate
my old GuruPlug if somebody wants to make that work.
(If we go that route, I'll go into more detail about the GuruPlug.)
The easiest thing, I think, would be to use a serial or USB
connection between the Arduino and the tiny-puter, then Ethernet
or Wi-Fi out from there.

But being able to know who's there and when would be mega.

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 2:13 PM, Rick Osgood <EMAIL HIDDEN> wrote:
> I think it would be cool to have the system setup to send a tweet when
> someone enters the building.  If it were to include the person's name, then
> I think it would be awesome if members had "profiles" they could easily
> modify online, or on an intranet to change their privacy settings.  That way
> if they don't want to publicly announce that they are at the space, they can
> set it up that way, but if they want everyone to know then they can change
> their profile accordingly.
>
> I consider this a "very nice to have" feature, rather than any sort of
> requirement.  If we have an electronic lock that works well, is at least as
> secure as a physical key lock, and doesn't look like it's going to fall
> apart then I would be happy.
>
> Rick
>

> On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 1:52 PM, Ellery W <EMAIL HIDDEN> wrote:
>>
>> (This post was done via forum.eugenemakerspace.com)
>>

>> Hey guys,
>>
>> James and I are working on Version 2 of the RFID door
>> system. Our current system works, and is impressive
>> considering the time that was spent putting it together!
>> After deployment, though, we have identified the following
>> areas that we wish to improve upon:
>>

>> Adding users is difficult and requires a computer
>> Notification that door is open is minimal - current LED is
>> very DIM and no audio feedback
>> Opening the door requires pulling then pushing the door -
>> possibly due to door jam swelling?
>> No logging of entry/exit
>> No 'Open House' mode (perma-unlock the door for x hours) for
>> non-members
>>

>> We have several other 'enhancements' that we are planning to
>> put into place as well. Before we go too far, I thought it
>> would be a good idea to hear from you guys to see what else
>> you would like to see in this project! For example... would
>> you like a tweet or FB post when you entered? Or a lock-down
>> mode?
>>
>> If you are interested in contributing, let me know! I'm
>> using an arduino as the brain, so if you want to learn some
>> about arduino programming or want to help, I am more than
>> willing to give you my code to look at. I have a Google Docs
>> share out with some additional information (project scope,
>> BOM, code, etc.) that I am willing to share out with anyone
>> that wants to participate in the project.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

>> --
>> -- Ellery
>> --
>> Posted from the Discuss forum

Bob Miller                              K<bob>