[EMS Discuss] [Balloon project] Cheap parachutes?

Rick Osgood EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri May 4 09:42:12 PDT 2012

That's a good question.  I've never even thought of those types of
parachutes.  I don't know enough about how parachutes are supposed to work
to know if that would work properly or not.  I suspect it might work if it
has the hole in the top and it conforms to the right shape when "inflated".

Really though, we should be able to use anything that creates enough drag
to slow the payload down enough so it doesn't get obliterated when it hits
the ground.  I've heard an idea that involved a lot of streamers instead of
a parachute.  The streamers supposedly should create enough drag to slow
the decent but again, I don't really know enough about it to say if it
would actually work or not.

Rick