[EMS Discuss] CNC machine

Mr. Clif EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Nov 1 22:54:16 PDT 2012

I have a friend who I'll probably quote below. He says that these
smaller machines are good for learning on but if you want repeatability
or faster than crawling along you want a bigger machine. You can get
larger machines and then retrofit it with CNC. He has recently looked
into this very same thing, and determeind that he wanted something more
than just a learning machine, ie, one that he could make real world
parts on not just in plastic. Here are the links he came up with during
his search:

Clif,

These are both very low end hobby mills (the kind I was originally
looking at).  They are suitable for working in wood, plastic and maybe
aluminum.  They would be GREAT as a tool for learning CNC and G code
programming.

A step up (though 3 times the money) would be something like
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3501&category=1241045623
or
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3829&category=1241045623

Remember that none of these light weight machines are going to be very
stiff so slow and patient is the ticket if you want to have *ANY* kind
of precision.

Other Hobby mills I looked at include:
http://www.taigtools.com/cmill.html
http://www.cnczone.com/classifieds/machines/p7920-cnc-converted-harbor-freight-mill-drill.html

http://www.cncmasters.com/index.php?page=cnc-baron-milling-machine
http://makeprojects.com/Project/CNC+Mini+Mill+Conversion+Kit+%28Hardware%29/1295/1#.UJMRP4bud8E

<He thought this was the ***BEST*** of the hobby mills>:

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=4218&category=1387807683
PLUS
http://www.cncfusion.com/minimill1.html
http://www.kelinginc.net/
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/3652   (Today I'd probably look at
LinuxCNC, even though the learning curve is steeper. )

Here is an in between mill:

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3501&category=1241045623

Depending on skills he might consider converting one of the heavier
bench-top mills.

My friend who withheld his name. ;-)

These are obviousely all hobby mills, now his search has moved on to
heavy duty bench top mills and low end production mills, and we could
dig up those links if you are interested. like this one for instance:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-x-21-Mill-Drill/G0619

Though it's not CNC, yet... but he is still hopeful that there is a kit
out there somewhere for it.

     Have fun,
     Clif