[EMS Discuss] Rick's 3d printer report.

Kassandra Kaplan EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Oct 5 17:27:37 PDT 2012

I've been working on a few profile for ricks printer.

A .35mm, or 350 micron, standard print quality.  This profile replaces my old profile.  This profile has better z-height accuracy, reversing and speed. The quality is not as good but close. 90% complete

A .2mm, 200micron, medium quality print.  The settings work but are not dialed in. 75% complete

A .1mm, 100 micron, high quality.  This setting is not ready for use yet. 20% complete.

A .05, 50micron, very high detail setting.  Unstarted but I expect this will Be as low as this machine will go given the half stepping controllers.

Upgrades possiblity:
Firmware:
If we upgrade the firmware more refinement in each quality setting could be achieved.  The issue is that makerbot firmware uses an a axis instead of the standard e axis.  A script could be written to fix this.

Alternately new electronics could give greater improvement all around.  Using a ramps shield, azteeg, or other marlin capable electronics would allow printing down to .01 mm or 10 microns and the most up to date softwares. This would also fix the a axis problem.

Dual extruder:
With an electronic upgrade or the buying of a second extruder control, 70 dollars could allow an upgrade to dual extrusion set up.

Pla:
Is possible with filament change protocol and new setting.  May improve max print quality, but hot days can soften this material.

Current issues:
E axis vs A axis
Filament tensioner- due to the improved retraction the filament tension needs tightening with every hour or so of about a quarter turn.  This seems overly finicky.  A pinch wheel clean might be in order.

どうぞおげんきで
Kassie