[EMS Discuss] Makerbot Replicator 2

Kassandra Kaplan EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Sep 19 14:55:10 PDT 2012

Re extruder: That is true and it mentioned something about abs. It's buried on the site.

Re pla:  it can go outside sorta, it will decompose if left in the right conditions and will soften if left in the sun on a hot day.

Re quality: Unfortunately makerbot doesn't alway have the best quality record.  Replicator prints from makerbot have been a little weak.  Kinda like everyone move on and they didn't.  Advertising a layer height is weird though. It's not the theoretical smallest as that is 2.5 mircons.  Is that the best they have done successfully? That actually kinda bad at this point.  Is it the best reliable?  Then it's on pare with most machines.  Is it best that it can print in a reasonable time? The point is that it's kinda meaningless, except that if it ships with that calibration setting and it works.  In which case they are just in the same league as anyone else.

Ricks current makerbot can do that level if quality.  It's hard with the old software he is using but it's possible/firmware, but it possible. If he upgrades the software it's reasonable to expect that with a little time.

At this point 3d print quality is about software more then anything else and I'm glad at least on FFD is actually trying to tackle the software side of think.  Most just throw some generic setting at you (if anything) and let you go from there.  As such most FFD machines don't talk about layer height.

どうぞおげんきで
Kassie