[EMS Discuss] lead free solder

Taper Wickel EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Apr 3 14:51:48 PDT 2013

I just did a little research on what I'd remembered about the differences,
and came up with some interesting tidbits.

>From the electronics industry's perspective, there are two shortcomings of
leadfree solders. First, the higher tin content can lead to "tin whiskers,"
a phenomenon where the solder's surface grows a forest of microscopic
branches -- some of which can grow long enough to bridge the distance
between adjacent solder joints, and short the connections together.  This
seems to be a problem mostly with very fine surface mount devices.

The second problem is that soldering iron tips wear out much more quickly.
The tin, again, at the higher melting temperature attacks the iron coating
of the tip. The solution here is mostly to keep the iron at a temperature
that's not _too_ high; the iron manufacturer Weller recommends 725F. Keep
the tip well coated and replace when worn.

Hope that's helpful--

Taper.

--
Taper Wickel <EMAIL HIDDEN>