[EMS Discuss] Red Bull Creation Ideas

Craig Godwin EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Apr 9 12:50:17 PDT 2013

The video mentions a DMX output, which would allow us to run
theatrical/concert style lighting.  Most interesting is intelligent
lighting, meaning light fixtures with moving heads, changing colors,
gobos, etc.  These are expensive lighting fixtures, but they can be
rented or probably even borrowed.  Off the shelf lighting isn't a cool
as home made, but could be used as a component of something cool.

How about a huge pong game?  I'm thinking about a motion controlled
spotlight from a building, bridge, or top of a grandstand at a football
field.  On the ground are two people or teams with physical paddles they
move to try to bounce the light back and forth.  Since the paddles would
only move in one dimension, we could do something as simple putting
wheels on the bottom and counting revolutions to get the position
feedback.  The spotlight can change colors or even the lighting pattern
in case of a miss.  To make use of the RGB drivers on the Red Bull
board, there could be LED strips on the top of the paddles that interact
with the ball, along with a 7 segment display on each paddle for showing
the score.  I have a little PA system for all the sound effects, and the
included Red Bull MP3 on the board might be appropriate as the
background music. It would be big, relatively simple, fun to play, and
look cool at night.

Craig