[EMS Discuss] Red Bull Updates?

Rick Osgood EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Apr 15 09:45:41 PDT 2013

Does anyone have any updates on Red Bull stuff?  Find anything interesting?
 Good/Bad?

Cord and I spent a lot of time on Saturday playing with a new idea for
detecting target hits and misses.  I think it was Craig that came up with
the idea of having each target emit an Infrared code and having the gun
detect which code it was pointed at.

Cord and I tested that idea and it seems like it is working.  We bought a
bunch of remote controls and modified them so they continuously transmit
one code over and over.  We got two of them to work properly and it seems
like we can accurately hit/miss them with the IR sensor placed inside a 1-2
foot long tube.  We did discover that some remotes cannot be modified in
this way.  If we can get 9-10 of them that do work though, we should be in
business.  I hope to test a few more tonight and see if we can get some
more targets to test.

I know Ben was still looking into using the RasPi to do image processing as
a method of detecting hits/misses.  And I think Kassie was still looking
into using a reflected laser beam.  We were trying a bunch of different
things since we didn't know which one (if any) would work.  Did anyone get
any farther with those ideas?