[EMS Discuss] Disc brake

Bob Miller EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Aug 14 22:13:48 PDT 2013

You always ask the most interesting questions. (-:

Sure.  Anything is possible.

The disc is probably the easiest part of a disk braking system to
manufacture.  It is just a round thing.  The caliper, master cylinder, and
pads are much harder.  (Especially the caliper.)

You can start with a plate of metal, drill a hole in the center, cut it
round, and drill some other holes for bolts.  Then you have to balance it.
 Those are all fairly high precision operations and challenging for a new
lathe user.  But I think it's possible.

But if you already have caliper, master cylinder, and pads from an existing
brake system, why not use the existing disc too?  Is it a matter of mating
it to a different axle?