[EMS Discuss] Vacuum former fundraiser

Ellery Weber EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Aug 26 14:47:50 PDT 2013

I think that, for the size platen that Rick is using (even at the small size) a shop vac will not provide adequate suction. Also, iirc, shop vacs quickly hit a vacuum limit; they are not really designed to create a vacuum like what is needed for the vacu-former.

Did a quick google and found that you get much better definition and a faster pull with a vacuum pump w/ tanks vs a shop vac:

http://www.build-stuff.com/001book_vacuum_forming.htm

Chapter 3 - Vacuum Sources

A simple explanation of what vacuum is and how its measured, with charts and conversion tables. Vacuum is commonly rated in "Inches of Mercury" (IN. HG.)  Most commercial vacuum forming is done with 25 -27 IN.HG. with a maximum of about 30 inches possible.

Note:Vacuum cleaners only pull 4 to 6 IN.HG. out of a possible 30 IN.HG. Don't be fooled by the commercials that show them picking up bowling balls. It doesn't matter how many horsepower, or how loud it is, or how much it dims the lights.  Even the best "Shop Vacs"  don't pull very hard, they just flow a lot of air!

From: EMAIL HIDDEN [mailto:EMAIL HIDDEN] On Behalf Of Hovis Biddle
Sent: Monday, August 26, 2013 1:39 PM
To: Rick Osgood
Cc: EMAIL HIDDEN
Subject: Re: [EMS Discuss] Vacuum former fundraiser

Looks awesome!

I was thinking of keeping my eyes open for the parts we'll need for the next stage.  I think I've seen some systems online that get away with a shop vac, do we need more suction than a shop vac can pull?  If you can post any sort of specs or whatever I'll start looking around and seeing what I can scrounge up.