[EMS Discuss] Help us find a new home!

Mr. Clif EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Aug 31 08:44:43 PDT 2013

Hi Marie,

here are some answers as I personally see them:

Marie Slatton-Valle wrote:
> I'm down to help on location scouting.  I've been scouting similarly sized
> locations for a garment production house and often think of EMS.
>
> I looked over the space ratings doc in the wiki and just have a few
> questions.  1) Does EMS only want month-to-month leases or is something a
> little longer acceptable?
Yes we did have a six month lease on our current space, and our current
draft proposal for a new space involves a 12 month lease.

>    2) Does EMS need to be in an industrial zone or
> is a commercial space okay?

Commercial is slightly preferable because it usually implies a store
front with display windows and a bit more foot traffic. However, the
trade-off is that the cost per square foot is higher, and often more
than we can afford.

>   3) What is meant by noise limits on the space
> ratings doc?

Well we have noisy shop tools like grinders and say, a book store or
quiet office park might not like that. ;-)

> That's all I can think of for now.

Thanks for your help! It would be cool if a few of us could form an
informal group that looked at properties together. I'm interested in
scheduling a visit to the danebo place next week. Are you interested?

> Also, has anyone read this Make
> article<http://makezine.com/2013/06/04/making-makerspaces-creating-a-business-model/>
> about
> Makerspaces as a business model?  Really solid, solid info.

Right... I should read that. :-)

> Let me know what I can do to help.  Definitely down to scope out a few
> places.

So if you're looking for a sewing place would you be interested in
sharing with EMS?? :-)

> Marie

     Clif