[EMS Discuss] Problem w/ Rick's printer (believed fixed)

Bob Miller EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Jan 27 18:03:57 PST 2013


Besides, you can't adjust the height by a fraction of a step.

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 3:20 PM, Kassandra Kaplan
<EMAIL HIDDEN> wrote:
> It's definitely in mm. 100 steps wouldn't even be a mm on most printers.
>
> どうぞおげんきで
> Kassie
>
> On Jan 27, 2013, at 2:34 PM, Rick Osgood <EMAIL HIDDEN> wrote:
>
> Are you sure the Z number is mm?  I thought it was steps.  I'm not 100% sure
> though.
>
>
> On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 1:52 PM, Bob Miller <EMAIL HIDDEN> wrote:
>>
>> You changed the Z height by 0.6 mm.  That is actually a lot.  Our favorite
>> profile uses 0.35 mm per layer, so 0.6 mm is 1.7 layers.  The last time I
>> saw Darrell adjust the Z, it was by 0.15 mm, I think.
>>
>> Sent from my phone.  No type good.
>>
>> On Jan 27, 2013 1:37 PM, "Rick Osgood" <EMAIL HIDDEN> wrote:
>>>
>>> I ran into another problem with the printer today.  This was the same
>>> problem that Kevin had last week.  I started using the Kass 90% profile and
>>> the extruder motor made this weird clicking sound.  Then it started eating
>>> away at the tape.  This made it clear that the extruder somehow was too low
>>> to the platform.  Kevin said this problem was fixed before by recalibrating
>>> the Z height.  I tried that just now and it seems like it worked.  I figured
>>> i would post here what I did in case this happens to someone else.  I don't
>>> know why this keeps happening.
>>>
>>> edit this file: /home/ems/.replicatorg/sf_5f_profiles/PROFILE
>>> NAME/alterations/start.gcode
>>>
>>> Replace PROFILE NAME with the name of the profile that is giving you
>>> problems.  In my case this was "Kass abs 350 microns - usable 90%"
>>>
>>> Once you have the start.gcode file opened, look for the line that says
>>> "Set Z axis maximum".  On that line you will see something like:
>>>
>>> "G92 Z105.3 (  ---=== Set Z Axis Maximum ===---  )"
>>>
>>> You need to change the number that starts with Z to something a little
>>> bit smaller.  That number is the number of stepper motor steps from the top
>>> end stop switch to the spot JUST above the build platform.  When you first
>>> start your print, the extruder goes all the way up and hits the switch.
>>> Then it uses that Z number to determine how many steps until the extruder is
>>> just above the platform.  If that number is too high, the motor takes too
>>> many steps.  It's possible that if the number is REALLY high the extruder
>>> can ram right into the platform.  In my case it was just a tiny bit too high
>>> and it was jamming the printer nozzle so it couldn't extrude.  I changed the
>>> number from Z105.9 to Z105.3 (barely changed) and it's working now.  It
>>> might be a tiny bit too low now so I'll fiddle with it on my next print to
>>> see if I can get it better.
>>>
>>> I hope that makes sense.  God speed.
>>>
>>> Rick
>>>
>>>
>>> On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 3:12 PM, Rick Osgood <EMAIL HIDDEN>
>>> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Excellent idea.  If anyone has a notebook to label and leave next to the
>>>> printer, I say go for it.  We can tell new people about the log as they are
>>>> trained to use the printer.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 2:09 PM, Darrell Perko <EMAIL HIDDEN> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Perhaps we should start a printer log. Enough people use the printer
>>>>> now
>>>>> that something new seems to pop up regularly. It would be nice to know
>>>>> what changed between sessions so that we might be able to predict and
>>>>> prevent future problems.
>>>>>
>>>>> On 1/24/2013 11:09 AM, Kassandra Kaplan wrote:
>>>>> > It breaks or the filament has too much friction to feed.
>>>>> >
>>>>> > どうぞおげんきで
>>>>> > Kassie
>>>>> >
>>>>> > On Jan 21, 2013, at 4:46 PM, Bob Miller <EMAIL HIDDEN> wrote:
>>>>> >
>>>>> >> Today I came in to use Rick's printer.  When I tried to print, it
>>>>> >> printed a few inches of the first layer, then did not extrude any
>>>>> >> more
>>>>> >> plastic.  After a little investigation, I figured out that the motor
>>>>> >> was not pushing plastic into the hot end.
>>>>> >>
>>>>> >> I disassembled the "cold end" (the part where the toothed gear
>>>>> >> pushes
>>>>> >> the filament through) to clean it out.  There wasn't much to clean,
>>>>> >> just a little plastic fluff.  But the gear had worn a divot in the
>>>>> >> filament.  (See photo.)
>>>>> >>
>>>>> >> I assume this is because the tensioner bolt was not tight enough.
>>>>> >> So
>>>>> >> I snipped off the end of the filament, heated up the hot end, and
>>>>> >> reinserted the filament.  I tightened the tensioner to the setting,
>>>>> >> "really cranked down hard". (-:
>>>>> >>
>>>>> >> It is printing now and seems to be working.  How would I know if I
>>>>> >> had
>>>>> >> overtightened the tensioner?
>>>>> >>
>>>>> >> Thanks.
>>>>> >>
>>>>> >> --
>>>>> >> Bob Miller                              K<bob>
>>>>> >>                                        EMAIL HIDDEN
>>>>> >
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>> Discuss mailing list
>>>>> EMAIL HIDDEN
>>>>>
>>>>> http://eugenemakerspace.com/mailman/listinfo/com.eugenemakerspace.discuss
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Discuss mailing list
>>> EMAIL HIDDEN
>>> http://eugenemakerspace.com/mailman/listinfo/com.eugenemakerspace.discuss
>>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Discuss mailing list
> EMAIL HIDDEN
> http://eugenemakerspace.com/mailman/listinfo/com.eugenemakerspace.discuss



-- 
Bob Miller                              K<bob>
                                        EMAIL HIDDEN


More information about the Discuss mailing list