[EMS Discuss] #eugene-maker-space IRC channel on freenode

Sam Foster EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Jul 3 09:57:33 PDT 2013

I've registered the  #eugene-maker-space channel on the freenode
network. If you already use IRC, that's probably all the information you
need, please drop in and say hi.

If you dont use IRC, but are by the computer most of the day/evening
then it might be a good thing for you - a realtime, group chat. The
usual protocol means that you don't have to hang on every word, just
leave it in the background and get on with your life until you have
something to say or see a conversation you want in on. I'll leave google
to find the best resources for you and your particular operating system
- its not complicated to get started though, and there are web-based IRC
clients if you don't want to install anything(1). Freenode provides
similar services for lots of open-source projects and like-minded
communities and have been great hosts for the many years I've  used them.

My IRC-fu has thus far been limited to joining channels and chatting.
But I'll read up a bit on being a channel op (unless anyone else has
that experience, and I'll probably read up anyhow).

Also, its worth stressing at the outset that with #leeds-hack-space we
made it a habit to try and copy any significant discussions to the
mailing list to make sure people don't get left out. I suggest we do the
same.

1. web/browser-based IRC clients - I've used
https://webchat.freenode.net/ (java), andhttp://mibbit.com/ in the past.
Also, https://www.irccloud.com/ is a new one that I've not had a chance
to try but have heard good things about
.