[EMS Discuss] 3d input devices

Sam Foster EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Jul 9 13:12:31 PDT 2013

(as promised, a summary of one interesting discussion on the
#eugene-maker-space IRC channel)

Bob and I were talking 3d modelling and (my) struggle with 3d modelling
using 2d pointer devices, and we got onto 3d input:

* I remembered something like one of these
http://annmarieshillito.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/falcon.png being
used during a reconstruction done of a proto-human done using some
specialized software on a TV show about human origins
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00l204n - UK only AFACT)
* thanks Bob for tracking that down, the image is from
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/creative-anarky - in interesting
proposal for software/hardware to do something very like what I'm
looking for
* Its basically a robot arm backwards - you move the pen/end-point and
your movements are turned into points in 3d space in software
* Bob talked about sand-filled balloons and the variable resistance of
the carbon granules used in old microphones
* And we got onto haptic feedback, like the playstation steering wheel
* I wondered if nitinol wire could be used to both translate motion to
data and provide haptic feedback (IIRC it produces voltage when you bend
it as well as bending when you apply voltage?)
* I pointed at a very simple image processing/recognition demo done by a
friend:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa9945MGRL0 (but realised it
wouldn't be so simple to get useful/accurate enough for 3d modelling input)
* And then remembered an abandoned data glove project using these simple
and cheap-to-build flex sensors:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-Bi-Directional-Flex-Sensors/
* And Bob found the stuff I needed (and was missing first time around)
on http://www.adafruit.com/products/1361
* (I then disappeared while spending too much money on adafruit.com)
* But left this favorite link for great ideas and materials for circuit
building: http://www.kobakant.at/DIY/

/Sam