[EMS Discuss] 3d input devices

Hovis Biddle EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Jul 12 10:41:59 PDT 2013

Why did you decide that an image processing solution would be unworkable?

In my experience the precision of these systems is limited only by your
hardware, and that's fungible.

Assuming that you only have access to cheap cameras (true for me, anyway),
the easiest way to handle this is to just add more of them.  I say
"fungible" because you have increased the complexity of the space-mapping
process.  However, you get much more precise positional data.

The other direction you can is to get high-resolution, high-speed cameras
which will give you the same results without nearly as much processing
overhead.

If anyone wants to work on something like this, let me know.  I don't have
a lot to do right now, but I do have the python OpenCV bindings installed
and a simple camera.