[EMS Discuss] That was fun. Let's NOT do it again!

Bob Miller EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Jul 27 13:12:58 PDT 2013

Now that we have some breathing room in our maker space, it's time to talk
about how we can keep it that way.

I'd like to suggest a policy that each member restrict himself/herself to a
single 12x12x18 box of personal storage, clearly labeled with the owner's
name.  If you have more than that, you know what to do.

We will have to make some kind of exceptions for projects that don't fit in
a box.  In the last hour, I've heard it suggested that we rent storage
space to members, that we put storage space requests up for a member vote,
or that we make them subject to board approval.

This is the "discuss" email list.  What kind of storage policies do you
think would work?

Also, please, PLEASE put your name on anything you leave at our shop.
 Whether you are donating it, lending it, or storing it for your personal
use, label it so everyone knows who left it here.  We have lots of sticky
labels on the shelves next to the bathroom.

Over the next few weeks, I will be doing two things.  (You can do these
things too, BTW.  You don't have to wait for me.)

1. I will be sending out pictures of things whose owner is unknown.  Look
at the pictures.  Speak up for your stuff.  I want to move us toward a
state where every object has a person responsible for it, and everyone
knows (or can easily find out) who it is.

2. I will be watching the clutter level.  If it starts rising again, I'll
start working on some actual rules about who can store what here, then on
actually enforcing those rules.