[EMS Discuss] Stratasys buys Makerbot

Rick Osgood EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Jun 19 16:08:10 PDT 2013

Both scary questions.  I really don't like the idea of a 3d printer having
a mechanism to detect the shape of an object and reject it under copyright,
safety, or other grounds.

I have a feeling the thingiverse issue won't come to fruition.  I feel like
the whole community embraces the openness of it all and that really allows
the community to feed on itself and constantly improve.  If the licensing
gets all restrictive I think they will see backlash and it will just open
up room for a new website to take over.  However, if printers really do end
up being in every home, many people will probably have no idea about
licensing and just use whatever website they are pointed too first.