[EMS Discuss] Staples Button + LED strip project at the makerspace openhouse?

Bob Miller EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Mar 25 15:00:10 PDT 2013

Hi, Ken.  I'm glad you liked it.

I used an Arduino Uno, this LED strip from Adafruit
http://www.adafruit.com/products/306 , and the aforementioned Big Red
Button.

I hacked the button.  I soldered wires to the two pads connect to the
button on the PCB board and cut the traces to disconnect the button
from the rest of the board.  Then I drilled holes in the case to pass
the wires out.  I ran the wires out through the battery case, but
there are probably several ways to do it.  Or you could even use some
other button. (-:

Wiring.  Plug the Arduino in to a supply with 2 amps capacity or so.
(I used an iPad USB power supply.)  Connect the button between pins D7
and ground.  Connect the LED strips thus.

   LED +5V to Arduino +5V
   LED ground to Arduino ground
   LED clock to Arduino pin D13
   LED data in to Arduino pin D11

Pins D13 and D11 are the SPI interface on the Uno.  When you use the
Arduino SPI library, you can use those pins or you can use different
pins with a bit banging interface.  I preferred to use the hardware.
I can turn the LED refresh rate up above 1 KHz that way (and I've used
that feature in another project).

I downloaded the LPD8806 library from Adafruit.  BTW, if you haven't
already, check out the Advanced LED Belt Kit example included with
that library.  It's good eye candy.

I think I had to download the TimerOne library as well.  Get it here.
http://playground.arduino.cc/Code/Timer1

Finally, here's the Arduino sketch.  You wil have to adjust
PIXEL_COUNT to match the number of LEDs you have.  I have 42 LEDs.

Have fun, and stay tuned for Interactive Diversion 2, now in planning.