[EMS Discuss] Sensors reporting via cell phone (AKA networking my dog/car) (?Bluetooth maybe?)

Julie Baumler EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Mar 27 16:40:53 PDT 2013

Hi everyone -

Since my dog likes to hang out in my car, I want to set up a
temperature and water sensor in my car that reports over a cellular
network when the temperature reaches certain thresholds or the water
sensor shows no water, and possibly can be triggered from the network
to report temperature and water status. I may wish to add additional
sensors later.

The actual sensors and having them trigger 'something' using an
arduino are easy, but I'm not sure what the best way to get from there
to having a cell phone do something - and what features the phone
needs to have to support this. I know I could do it with an Android
phone, but I want to use a throw away phone that's clearly not worth
stealing. Is Bluetooth support enough to do what I want if I use it to
trigger SMS (and vice-versa)? I need to throw some money at TracFone
in the next week to keep my backup/emergency service going, and one
way to do that is to purchase a new phone from them.  Their $20 phone
with Bluetooth has Version 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) with the
hands-free, headset, object push, and object exchange profiles. Is
that sufficient? Or what is the minimal hardware profile I need?

Thanks,
Julie