[EMS Discuss] Getting funds together for a possible move

Craig Godwin EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed May 22 10:50:46 PDT 2013

I would be willing to pay more for the right space in the right
location.  The current EMS location isn't very usable for me (too small
and too far away), so I'm really just paying to be part of a club and
support EMS instead of getting access to a space I can really use.

Another idea I've seen at some other makerspaces is charging a small fee
for some extra benefits.  Renting lockers is one that makes a lot of
sense to me.  Everyone pays the basic membership fee.  If you need some
space for your projects (like me) you can rent a locker - anything from
a shelf to lockable cages of various sizes.  As long as the storage
doesn't cost too much to setup, that is a revenue stream that also
provides one way for people to pay for the amount of use they get out of
EMS.

Another option is paying a small fee for some of the more popular or
expensive tools (like a 3D printer).  This can be hourly, a monthly fee
for the right to use it, or maybe just a one time fee to get checked out
on a machine.

Holding classes (soldering, arduino, etc.) for a small fee can bring in
some money, but I'm not sure if there is enough of a market for that.
We should do those anyone once we have a space that supports that, but
I'm guessing that would be more to break even and attract new members
than a revenue source.

Finally mixing some business memberships could dramatically subsidize
the cost.  EMS is mostly empty on during the day on weekdays, so having
one or more small businesses or individuals make use of the space during
that time could bring in a substantial amount of money.  Think of
something like CodeChops operating out of EMS during the daytime -
geared towards business uses that wouldn't prevent a normal EMS member
from working on projects at the same time.  I myself my consider up to a
couple hundred dollars a month for an arrangement like that.

Craig