[EMS Discuss] EMS Makerfaire Activity

Julie Baumler EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue May 28 17:10:02 PDT 2013

I am actually moving the day of Makerfaire (tho if people wanted to come
move my furniture into my pod sooner, I guess I could be available) but had
I not been, I wanted to do a booth myself with embroidery and soft
circuits. This is something I've been working on developing as a
class/project curriculum for use by the Embroider's Guild of America, and I
also did a short workshop on it at BeaverBar camp a couple of years ago. My
idea is to make a patch with a LED light using standard compontents, (not
the more expensive soft electronics).  I have a large selection of Kreinik
thread of which a good proportion is conductive - but needs to be tested to
determine that it is - that I could donate for the cause (otherwise i`ll
save it for next year). To avoid the cost of batteries, I was thinking of
doing 9V as the connectors are cheap, easy to sew on and the batteries are
readily available.

Although time is tight, DMC, makers of embroidery floss, often donates to
people who are teaching and makes a product called "memory wire" that is
essentially copper wire with cotton wrapped insulation - that is another
option. Or you can stitch down standard wire.

I have a little sampler where I showed some of the ways to attach wires
(and honestly, you could use glue for a patch), that I can dig up if people
are interested.

Julie