[EMS Discuss] EMS Makerfaire Activity

Rick Osgood EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue May 28 19:35:20 PDT 2013

I'm really liking the fabric circuit idea and I also like the "balloon and
straws" idea because that sounds like it can be done inexpensively.  I
agree with Taper though that the fabric circuits might be too short notice
to put together.  I'd love to hear more ideas if anyone has any.

I should also mention that the Eugene rocketry club asked me if they can
borrow our compressed air rocket setup for makerfaire this year.  I did
feel kind of bad about that last year especially since we were RIGHT next
to them.  I told them it was fine since I figured we would want to do
something different anyway.  I do want to paint the launcher green and
black with our name on it though.  So I guess all of our ideas should keep
that in mind and note that we won't have the rocket launcher available this
year.

Rick

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 6:30 PM, Taper Wickel <EMAIL HIDDEN> wrote:

> I would like to see that sampler! I really like this idea, but it may be
> too much for short notice.
>
> --
> Taper Wickel <EMAIL HIDDEN>
> On May 28, 2013 5:10 PM, "Julie Baumler" <EMAIL HIDDEN> wrote:
>
>> I am actually moving the day of Makerfaire (tho if people wanted to come
>> move my furniture into my pod sooner, I guess I could be available) but had
>> I not been, I wanted to do a booth myself with embroidery and soft
>> circuits. This is something I've been working on developing as a
>> class/project curriculum for use by the Embroider's Guild of America, and I
>> also did a short workshop on it at BeaverBar camp a couple of years ago. My
>> idea is to make a patch with a LED light using standard compontents, (not
>> the more expensive soft electronics).  I have a large selection of Kreinik
>> thread of which a good proportion is conductive - but needs to be tested to
>> determine that it is - that I could donate for the cause (otherwise i`ll
>> save it for next year). To avoid the cost of batteries, I was thinking of
>> doing 9V as the connectors are cheap, easy to sew on and the batteries are
>> readily available.
>>
>> Although time is tight, DMC, makers of embroidery floss, often donates to
>> people who are teaching and makes a product called "memory wire" that is
>> essentially copper wire with cotton wrapped insulation - that is another
>> option. Or you can stitch down standard wire.
>>
>> I have a little sampler where I showed some of the ways to attach wires
>> (and honestly, you could use glue for a patch), that I can dig up if people
>> are interested.
>>
>> Julie
>> On May 28, 2013 4:07 PM, "Rick Osgood" <EMAIL HIDDEN> wrote:
>>
>>> Eugene Makerfaire is only a couple of weeks away!  Does anyone have any
>>> ideas that we can do for activities at our table this year?  Last year we
>>> did paper rockets and it was a huge hit.  Let's switch it up and keep
>>> things interesting.  Can anyone think of anything we can do that would meet
>>> the following criteria?
>>>
>>> 1. Fun
>>> 2. Inexpensive
>>> 3. Lots of people can participate