[EMS Discuss] EMS Makerfaire Activity

Julie Baumler EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue May 28 21:10:40 PDT 2013

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 6:30 PM, Taper Wickel <EMAIL HIDDEN> wrote:
> I would like to see that sampler! I really like this idea, but it may be too
> much for short notice.
>
> --
> Taper Wickel <EMAIL HIDDEN>

I'm planning on coming to the Open House on Friday (of course it could
end up like last Friday where I get caught up in code and don't leave
the couch) and I'll bring the sampler. I'll also try to get some
pictures up.

Radio Shack/Popular Mechanics had a draw bot project last year that
was essentially broken computer fans with a battery and some markers
rubber banded around the outside.

Julie

> On May 28, 2013 5:10 PM, "Julie Baumler" <EMAIL HIDDEN> wrote:
>>
>> I am actually moving the day of Makerfaire (tho if people wanted to come
>> move my furniture into my pod sooner, I guess I could be available) but had
>> I not been, I wanted to do a booth myself with embroidery and soft circuits.
>> This is something I've been working on developing as a class/project
>> curriculum for use by the Embroider's Guild of America, and I also did a
>> short workshop on it at BeaverBar camp a couple of years ago. My idea is to
>> make a patch with a LED light using standard compontents, (not the more
>> expensive soft electronics).  I have a large selection of Kreinik thread of
>> which a good proportion is conductive - but needs to be tested to determine
>> that it is - that I could donate for the cause (otherwise i`ll save it for
>> next year). To avoid the cost of batteries, I was thinking of doing 9V as
>> the connectors are cheap, easy to sew on and the batteries are readily
>> available.
>>
>> Although time is tight, DMC, makers of embroidery floss, often donates to
>> people who are teaching and makes a product called "memory wire" that is
>> essentially copper wire with cotton wrapped insulation - that is another
>> option. Or you can stitch down standard wire.
>>
>> I have a little sampler where I showed some of the ways to attach wires
>> (and honestly, you could use glue for a patch), that I can dig up if people
>> are interested.
>>
>> Julie
>>
>> On May 28, 2013 4:07 PM, "Rick Osgood" <EMAIL HIDDEN> wrote:
>>>
>>> Eugene Makerfaire is only a couple of weeks away!  Does anyone have any
>>> ideas that we can do for activities at our table this year?  Last year we
>>> did paper rockets and it was a huge hit.  Let's switch it up and keep things
>>> interesting.  Can anyone think of anything we can do that would meet the
>>> following criteria?
>>>
>>> 1. Fun
>>> 2. Inexpensive
>>> 3. Lots of people can participate