[EMS Discuss] New Storage Rules for Eugene Maker Space

Kevin King EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Nov 1 10:31:41 PDT 2013

To go along with the storage proposal, a change needs to be made in our storage capabilities.  The Gorilla racks that we currently use are good, but sturdier and larger racks can be built for cheaper.  I have built shelves similar to the ones the link below.  They are very sturdy and are easily adjusted.  Building something like this would maximize our storage capacity and for cheap.  Requiring only 2x4s and 3/4" plywood.

I think the shelf space that members are entitled with membership is a little small as well.  Most members would have a toolbox or tote on the shelf full of their stuff.  The 12"x12" could be a little limiting.  Building shelving like this would give us quote a bit of storage space.  I believe about 15' length of this shelving would yield at least 75x 50-quart storage totes that measure 20"x15"x15" (LxWxH).  That is with shelving 8' tall.  With high ceilings, we could potentially go taller, but then safety could be a concern.  If we could score one of those stairs on wheels like they have at Jerry's, that would be nice.

Bobs proposal specifies that additional shelving can be purchased per month at $5/linear foot.  Being that linear foot includes the depth of the shelf, that should be sufficient for an additional toolbox or 2' deep container.  $5/month does not seem extreme.  At $1/ft, a member could rent an entire gorilla rack for $20/month.  We could quickly run out of storage space.

http://www.homedepot.com/c/how_to_build_garage_shelves_HT_PG_SO

-Kevin

________________________________
 From: Bob Miller <EMAIL HIDDEN>
To: Taper Wickel <EMAIL HIDDEN>
Cc: discuss <EMAIL HIDDEN>
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2013 9:25 PM
Subject: Re: [EMS Discuss] New Storage Rules for Eugene Maker Space

I think you're right -- if it's under construction like the vacuum
table currently is, then it's a project and it would owe rent.  Once
it's completed, it could be donated or lent to EMS, or it could become
a Gallery Item, or the member could continue to pay rent to store it
(and not share it).  An interesting edge case is the 3D printers,
which are only working part of the time. (-:

I don't understand your question about multiple members. I can only
think of two things that were limited per-member.  Free shelf space.
Sure, if two members want to pool their space, that's probably
reasonable.  And "If the member needs more than 10% of the available
floor space for short term storage, he/she must announce his
intentions to the membership".  In that case, I'd think it's 10% for
the project, no matter how many members are involved -- the concern is
how much floor space we've lost.

And you're right that we're going to have some case-by-case decisions.
There's no way to predict every case that will come up.

Thanks for your comments.  It's probably about time for me to write a summary.

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 9:05 PM, Taper Wickel <EMAIL HIDDEN> wrote:
> Speaking as someone who abuses the current storage regime --
>

> It all looks reasonable to me.  I do wonder where the line
> would get drawn between project and loaned/donated
> equipment? The vacuum former is an obvious example, but I
> was also thinking of a if-we-had-more-space build of a
> holography sand table; is it a project until it's done, and
> then it's equipment?  Also -- if multiple members are
> working on a project, does that get more space than a
> single-member project?
>
> This may be just a case-by-case thing and not need hard
> limits, but I figured I'd bring up the questions.
>

> --
> Posted from the Discuss forum

Bob Miller                              K<bob>