[EMS Discuss] New Storage Rules for Eugene Maker Space

Mr. Clif EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Nov 1 11:10:11 PDT 2013

Hi Kevin,

Yes You're right we do need to rethink our storage situation.

On 11/01/2013 10:31 AM, Kevin King wrote:

> To go along with the storage proposal, a change needs to be made in
> our storage capabilities.  The Gorilla racks that we currently use are
> good, but sturdier and larger racks can be built for cheaper.  I have
> built shelves similar to the ones the link below.  They are very
> sturdy and are easily adjusted.  Building something like this would
> maximize our storage capacity and for cheap.  Requiring only 2x4s and
> 3/4" plywood.

I'm all for cheap and easy but it looks like these have to be fastened
to a wall or ceiling, and obviously are unmovable. In comparison, the
shelving at Noisebridge in San Francisco was set up like library shelves
in the middle of one area. This acknowledges the fact that there is a
lot more center area than wall space. I'm sure we can find a design that
works.

> I think the shelf space that members are entitled with membership is a
> little small as well.  Most members would have a toolbox or tote on
> the shelf full of their stuff.  The 12"x12" could be a little
> limiting.  Building shelving like this would give us quote a bit of
> storage space.  I believe about 15' length of this shelving would
> yield at least 75x 50-quart storage totes that measure 20"x15"x15"
> (LxWxH).  That is with shelving 8' tall.  With high ceilings, we could
> potentially go taller, but then safety could be a concern.  If we
> could score one of those stairs on wheels like they have at Jerry's,
> that would be nice.

Well we should try to find a good medium, there are many members like
myself that have no shelving requirements, and some that do. I agree
that your Dues should get you something in most resource areas. On the
other hand we do have to grow into a larger space so sizeing the (free)
resources to the larger end of what members need is not going to help us
pay for it.

> Bobs proposal specifies that additional shelving can be purchased per
> month at $5/linear foot.  Being that linear foot includes the depth of
> the shelf, that should be sufficient for an additional toolbox or 2'
> deep container. $5/month does not seem extreme.  At $1/ft, a member
> could rent an entire gorilla rack for $20/month.  We could quickly run
> out of storage space.

Well yes his initial estimate was $5 / linear foot which for a 2 foot
deep shelf is $2.50 / sqft. which was the same as the floor space rate.
However because there are around 7 shelves in one unit you could divide
reduce that rate by as much as 7 fold and still get the same income for
a fully used shelf. So lets take your example of $1 / linear foot which
is 50c / sqft right? Then we have a 15 foot long shelf unit X 7 levels =
105 linear feet of shelving / unit. So 105 X $1 / linear foot = $105 /
unit, if the shelf is fully used. The shelf's foot print on the floor is
only about 2' by 15' or 30 Sqft. So you get about $3.50 / Sqft for each
shelf unit that is fully used. Of course in reality they will only be
about half full so I think that $2.00 / linear foot is a better starting
point.

> http://www.homedepot.com/c/how_to_build_garage_shelves_HT_PG_SO
>
> -Kevin

     Ciao,