[EMS Discuss] Punkin' Chunkin' Questions?

Benjamin Hallert EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Nov 14 09:37:09 PST 2013

I've been thinking about something lately, I thought I'd give it a shot of putting it down on paper here. In the past we've had group projects that really fostered cooperation and teamwork and that's some of the stuff I like the most about being part of the maker space. While I really like the idea of having a friendly competition, the air of absolute secrecy that has surrounded this contest has felt a little deflationary. I understand the reasoning behind it (giving up a competitive advantage is alien to us) but I still feel like there's something missing.

I'm guilty of this too, don't get me wrong. I'm not sending out a bunch of pictures of the project that I'm working on either, and I suppose it's probably not reasonable to expect everyone else to change how they're approaching this either. I guess I'm just saying that I miss working on projects collaboratively without seeing fellow EMS members as "the enemy". Is there any sort of halfway point between friendly competition and teamwork on a group widescale? I don't know, so I guess I'm throwing it out to the group for consideration for the future.

For example, I absolutely know that the members of team LEO would be able to offer insight into the launcher team kerbalnauts is working on. It's a bunch of really smart, great problem solvers whom I enjoy speaking with and working with. I like to imagine that I might be able to assist in someway to someone else too, of course, but whatevs.

I'm not trying to advocate for a change to future contests or this. I guess I'm just trying to capture some thoughts I've been having in text to see if I'm alone in this or if it has any value to anyone else.

That said, I'm really looking forward to the big event!  Hopefully we can put on a fun show for our families and maybe even drive some membership expansion. Are we reaching out to any local media?

- Ben